The Library hosts events for all ages throughout the year. Click on the Category drop down menu to limit your calendar view by age.
Speak Beat for Teens
Literacy & Public Speaking Workshop
- Date: 04/08/2018 3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Location: Pflugerville Public Library
1008 W. Pfluger Street
Pflugerville, Texas 78660
- Introduction: Speak Beat is an innovative literacy workshop that combines communications and presentation curriculum with music, audio engineering, language arts, and audio/visual applications with public speaking and performance arts.
- Featured ItemYes
Speak Beat Communications is an innovative literacy workshop that combines communications and presentation curriculum with music, audio engineering, language arts, and audio/visual applications with public speaking and performance arts. Teens can develop their writing and public speaking skills. Each month will feature a different theme and literary focus. This month, the theme is "Heroes & Villains" and the literary focus is on fiction and short stories.
This workshop is open to teens ages 12-18. Parents and friends ages 12 & up are welcome to attend the Symposium and Open Mic portions of the workshop. Refreshments are provided.
Register online to participate. Walk-ins will be permitted as space allows. Speak Beat will recur monthly through May. For more information, email email@example.com.
Speak Beat is presented by Canetra Winn of the Give Me an A Literacy Project.
The workshop consists of three sections: Writer's Workshop, Speak Beat Symposium, and Open Mic.
- 3:00-3:45 pm - Writers Workshop
Teens can work individually or collaborate to develop a short composition on the selected theme to present during the symposium portion. Writing materials will be provided.
- 3:45-4:30 pm - Speak Beat Symposium
Teens will present their prepared spoken presentation (maximum 5 minutes).
- 4:30-5:00 pm - Open Mic
During Open Mic, teens can present other types of performances, including singing and instruments (maximum 3 minutes), as well as socialize and share feedback with other attendees.
The following equipment and resources will be available to participants:
- 2 Professional Fender Bluetooth PA Speakers with stands
- 2 Wired Akg Mics with stands & instrument boom option
- 12 channel Yamaha mixer with EQ
- Professional recording software
- 2 AKAI USB MIDI Keyboard with Beat Making Pads
- Laptop computer for presentations
- Sound Engineer on site
- Power strips, USB, audio and video cables available
- 2 projectors
- 2 wireless mics
- 1 lavalier mic
Participants can bring their own devices, instruments, props and visual aids, or anything they feel comfortable with presenting in front of a general audience.